Sunday, October 7, 2012

Concept Development

In developing an idea (design solution) I have found that a set of process work helps best when building off a foundation. As part of this process I was first given the task of working off the base of some lyrics, poems, quotations, etc. in relation to the ideas or reference of "home". I choice a song titled "Coming Home" by Diddy -Dirty Money where I broke the song down to my personal reflection of its meaning, and what the meaning or definition of a home and house may be or mean. To some its one thing and to others it's another. This idea guided me to develop some parti's that represented that sole foundation. I examined the idea of the materials in a home, what it takes to create a home, how do we define home, and so on. I found many literal ways to express those thoughts, one in particular was wood, and a closeup abstraction of woodgrain, along with the systematic process in which a home or a house is created.

I saw something very interesting within that idea an decided to develop it further, I continued on until I reached the point of recognizing the relation of wood grain to a finger print, or the similarities in the form of the two. The ways that they both seem to have a wrapping or layering effect of unique individuality, the natural form that the two have, and as well as the possibilities of abstraction.

These abstract parti's would ultimately help me through my conceptual models and the foundation to the design solution for the design problem. I was (and for the most part, still am) working towards a solution for a kitchen and living space in a two bedroom apartment located in the Palouse. This process of conceptualizing and developing has been very helpful, and I find to be very productive solution in the overall design process. I would say, that had I more time, I could keep working on developing a more efficient and greater solution, but with that being said, there are always going to be constraints and timelines that one must follow and accept. Moving forward requires confidence and acceptance that continuing with the design will only allow for it to grow and there for getting better.



NOTE: Specific location, and the clients name, I am under the assumption that he would like to keep it disclosed and private.


No comments:

Post a Comment